- This event has passed.
Principle Veda concepts – part 1
April 28 @ 10:30 am - 11:30 am€20
Pic © ANAND RAVEENDRAN shutterstock
The hymns and mantras of the Veda are records of the multiple experiences of the Seers or Ṛṣi-s of the early ages and form the storehouse of knowledge that is considered the source of Yoga, Bhagavad Gīta and influences life and traditions in India to this day.
This session will help the student of Veda recitation understand the following principle concepts of the Vedas:
- Mantras – what are the different types of mantras in the Vedas and their differences?
- Sūktam – etymology of Sūktam & listing of important hymns and basis to their composition.
- Chandas – prosody in the Vedas
- Ṛṣi – The Seers, an overview. How does one become a Seer?
In addition, we will spend 20-30 minutes practising some chanting of select mantras from the list below. Depending on the group, appropriate hymns will be selected for practice. Those who do not know these hymns are welcome to simply listen to the practice during this time. Students who know these mantras – please come prepared having practised on your own beforehand!!
- Gaṇapati Atharvaśīrṣa
- Āyurmantraḥ & Laghuñyāsaḥ
- Agni mantras of Ṛg Veda
- Durga Sūktam
- Śrī Sūktam
- Devī Sūktam
- Bhāgya Sūktam
- Medha Sūktam
- Śraddha Sūktam
- Puruṣa Sūktam
This event is now taking place over Webinar, register here: