- This event has passed.
Hymn of the sound of Truth – devī sūktam (navarātri sādhana)
September 21, 2021 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm€155
From Maṇḍala 10 of the Ṛg Veda, this mantra is stunning both in poetic expression as well as in its sound. Revealed to a Ṛṣika or woman seer – Vāk Ambhṛṇī who in this hymn, identifies completely with the Supreme Vāk, or sound (parāśakti in Tantra), joyfully expresses her realisation through these 8 mantras. This hymn is therefore a song in praise of the Self.
In the words of my dear friend Jean Le Mée – Here, with extraordinary poetic power and in words reminiscent of the Proverbs of Solomon and of Dante, Vak, the Word, is exalted “beyond the Heavens and beyond this broad Earth.” This word of knowledge, of wisdom – the sound of Truth itself – is the source and nourisher of Creation.
Join us for this 5 class course to learn this supremely uplifting and empowering hymn, Devī Sūktam. We celebrate Navarātri together through this practice – the festival of 9 nine nights dedicated to sacred feminine energy.
We study word by word, understanding all the Vedic phonetics involved in great depth, along with its contemplative meaning.
At the end of 5 classes, you will:
- Learn the complete Devī Sūktam of the Ṛgveda along with meaning for contemplation.
- Practice small excerpts of the chanting live with the teacher.
- Understand the symbolic significance of this mantra.
- Have the option to send a recording for evaluation at the end of the course to ensure correct learning.
We will learn word by word the recitation, including all nuances of Vedic phonetics and pronunciation and its meaning.
Course curriculum with dates (11am-12noon CET):
5am EST | 11am CET | 2.30pm IST
Class 1: Sept 21 – Mantras 1 & 2, meaning & a special discussion on kampa, a tremulous vibration of this Rig Veda mantra.
Class 2: Sept 28 – Mantras 3 & 4 ; meaning
Class 3: Oct 5 – Mantras 5 & 6 ; meaning
Class 4: Oct 12 – Mantras 7 & 8; meaning
Class 5: Oct 19 – Full mantra practice & meaning summary
Intermediate – You will need to know the basic rules of chanting, read either English transliteration OR Devanāgari & be able to maintain “svara”. Those who have completed the Foundation course in Vedic chanting are eligible to join this course.
€155 – including 5 live classes, self-paced course with recordings, workbook & 1 recording evaluation. (Please contact me via email if you need payment option-instalments).
Course platform & resources included:
– A workbook, with the text for chanting, Vedic phonetics & word by word meaning.
– Lifetime access to online course material with recordings – audio & video to help continue practice – extensive learning resources are included well beyond what is covered in the live classes (Value €125!!)
– Option to submit a recording for feedback at the end of the course (1 recording only).
– Course will be taught on Zoom. Each week, participants will receive the replay link (recording) from the class, which will be available for the duration of the course. Therefore, if you miss a class or you are in a different time-zone, you can catch up with the recording.
– Zoom classes are interactive, students will get a turn practising with the teacher real time for immediate feedback. This is not obligatory, if you prefer not to, it is not a problem!
Time zone not suitable?
You can still sign up for the course if the time zone isn’t suitable for live classes as all recordings will be made available and you will still be able to send in a weekly recording (only for those not joining live classes each week) for evaluation and keep up with the class.
Shantala’s chanting of Devī Sūktam: