- This event has passed.
Yoga Sūtras – aṣṭāṅga yoga
April 23 @ 9:30 am - 10:30 am€130
Practicing the limbs of yoga eliminates impurities and reveals the light of knowledge, leading to a continuous and keen sense of discernment – Yoga Sūtra 2.28
The eight limbs of yoga, Aṣṭāṅga, are a set of practices that develop our civility in society and prepare us for our journey inward to discover our true nature. Practicing the eight limbs purifies the heart-mind and leads to discriminating perception, viveka. Each part of yoga stabilises and refines a different aspect of our being. – Nicolai Bachman.
Over 7 classes between April to June, we will study the Sūtras that cover the first 5 limbs: Yama (Ethical practices), Niyama (Personal practices), Āsana (refinement of the body), Praṇāyāma (regulation of breath) & Pratyāhāra (tuning out sensory input).
This is Module 2 of the Yoga Sutras 2nd chapter and can be studied independently.
DATES & SYLLABUS:
Module 2 : Aṣṭāṅga Yoga
1. April 23rd – Yamas & their universality; Chanting Sūtras 29-39
2. April 30th – Niyamas & Pratipakṣa Bhāvana; Chanting Sūtras 32-42
3. May 7th – Side benefits of Yamas; Chanting Sūtras 35-45
4. May 14th – Side benefits of Niyamas; Chanting Sūtras 40-50
5. May 21st – Āsana; Chanting Sūtras Chanting Sūtras 45-55
6. May 28th – Prāṇāyāma & Pratyahāra Chanting Sūtras 49-55
7. June 4th – Summary & Assignment information– Sādhana Pāda
Please note if a class in Module 2 has to be rescheduled, the last class will take place on June 11th.