Yoga Sūtras: Power & Freedom
September 17 @ 9:30 am - 10:30 am€185
Pic: © By OlegD shutterstock
When the mind is not where it should not be, then it is where it should be! (A.K.Aruna)
The 3rd chapter of Patañjali’s yoga sutras continues with the last three limbs of Aṣtāṅga – Dhāraṇa, Dhyāna & Samādhi, also referred to as antaraṅga or internal limbs. These practices not only culminate in Samādhi but all the mysteries of the yogic life are unraveled and the powers or Siddhis are acquired. This is an important lesson for the aspiring yogī who should avoid confusing these superpowers with the main accomplishments in yoga. Through succinct 5 lessons of this course you will:
- Understand why we study the 3rd chapter.
- Establish your understanding that siddhis are merely a side-effect.
- Learn the real siddhi hidden in this chapter.
- Learn about Siddhis in the popular tradition (purāṇas) through short stories to gain a clear perspective on powers.
- Practice chanting the 55 Sūtras to familiarize yourself with the vocabulary.
In the 4th and final chapter of the Yoga Sūtras, Patañjali takes the aspiring yogī systematically through some of the theoretical concepts unpinning previous chapters. If some topics seemed disconnected previously, you will discover its flawless line of reasoning in this chapter. Kaivalya, quite literally means absolute aloneless or complete autonomy or Freedom. Your consciousness remaining in its own nature, always beyond time, beyond change. Through 6 lessons you will:
- Understand more deeply the theoretical background of the technique of Yoga.
- Revisit Karma, Saṃskāra & Vāsana and gain a deeper perspective.
- Study the mechanics of Citta
- Learn the steps leading to the final Freedom
- Understand logically what “guṇas return to their origin” means!
- Practice chanting the 34 Sūtras of this chapter
All students will receive access to an online learning platform to support their study, with recordings of chanting, handouts and videos of the discussions and explanations. Therefore, if you miss a lesson or need to revisit, all the class material will be available to catch up.
You can also sign up for an online-only study due to the timings or your work commitments or not being in Brussels! Sign up for the course and send me an email (SanskritBelgium@gmail.com) that you will study online-only. If you have other questions, email me!
DATES & SYLLABUS:
- Sept 17 – Dhāraṇa, Dhyāna, Samādhi & Saṃyama; chanting sūtras 1-15
- Sept 24 – Pariṇāma; chanting sūtras -20-35
- Oct 1 – Powers from Saṃyama; chanting sūtras 30-40
- Oct 8 – Viveka with Saṃyama; chanting sūtras 49-55
- Oct 15 – Vibhūti Pāda summary & assignment information
6. Oct 22 – Kaivalya – Other ways to attain powers; chanting sūtras 1-10
(Oct 29 & Nov 5 – no class!!)
7. Nov 12– Pariṇāma & Chitta; chanting sūtras 5-15
8. Nov 19 – Karma, Saṃskāra & Vāsana; chanting sūtras 7-20
9. Nov 26 – Mechanics of the citta; chanting sūtras 15-24
10. Dec 3 – Steps leading to Kaivalya; chanting sūtras 25-34
11. Dec 10 – Kaivalya Pada summary & assignment information
This course is only accessible to those who have some understanding of chapters 1 & 2
Assignment and certificate
An optional assignment submission will be available for those who would like to receive a certificate of completion for this course. All assignment submissions will take place online and by the end of Jan 2020.
185EUR for full course including lifetime access to online learning resource.
Contact me directly (SanskritBelgium@gmail.com) if you need payment options.
BTW/TVA #: BE 0833.200.801