Yoga Sūtras – Samādhi Pāda (Jan-May 2020 course)
January 21, 2020 @ 9:30 am - 10:40 am€270
A comprehensive course of 15 classes on the first chapter of the Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali with chanting, Sanskrit basics and traditional commentaries of Vyāsa (and others – Vācaspati Miśra, Vijñānabhikṣu, Bhoja Rāja and Swami Hariharānanda etc). All students will also receive access to an online learning tool to support their study, with recordings of chanting, handouts and summaries. Videos of the discussion from class will also be made available online. If you happen to miss a class during this course, you can easily catch up online!
The main method of transmission in this course is the traditional chanting of the Yoga Sūtras, the rhythmic repetition of this text allows students to become familiar with the vocabulary of the text and memorise them. This process brings your mind to a meditative state preparing you for a deeper study.
Each class will include invocatory prayers, chanting of the Sūtras and discussion of key terms and concepts through traditional commentaries.
By the end of this course you will:
- Have an introduction to the Indian philosophical systems & learn where Yoga fits in.
- Understand the principle components of the genre of Sūtra literature & who was Patañjali.
- Understand clearly, the definition of Yoga according to Patañjali
- Learn to recite all 51 Sūtras of the first chapter of the Yoga Sūtras, learning their pronunciation and becoming familiar with the vocabulary.
- Have an introduction to Sanskrit – alphabet, pronunciation exercises using āsana names for examples and etymology of important terminology from the text.
- Learn all the key concepts from this chapter in a succinct and clear way. For example – Īśvara will be introduced with clarity and practical purpose.
- Optional: Test your knowledge through a quiz, short answer assignments & submitting an audio recording of your chanting. On successful completion you will receive a certificate (online).
Course fee: EUR 270 including all classes from Jan to May, learning material and lifetime access to online course material.
All classes run on Tuesday mornings from 9.30AM -10.40AM.
Dates and syllabus: If you miss a class, you can use the online system to catch up!
- Jan 21st– Introduction, invocatory prayers – meaning and significance
- Jan 28th – Introduction to the Indian Philosophical systems, Sūtra literature, Who is Patañjali
- Feb 4th– Definition of Yoga. Chanting – 1.1 – 1.10
- Feb 11th – Vṛtti-s – Fluctuations of the mind. Chanting – 1.5-1.15
- Feb 18th – Abhyāsa (Practice) and Vairāgya (detached awareness). Chanting 1.12 – 1.20
Carnival break! (25th Feb no class)
- March 3rd– Sanskrit alphabet/pronunciation
- March 10th– Sanskrit alphabet continued & Etymology
(17th March – no class, I travel to India!)
- March 24th– Samādhi. Chanting 1.17 – 1.26
- March 31st– Śraddha – Conviction in your practice. Chanting 1.20 – 1.30
Easter break (17th & 14th April no class!)
- April 21st– Īśvara – The greatest support for meditation. Chanting 1.26 – 1.35
- April 28th– Antarāya-s – The obstacles to my practice. Chanting 1.30-1.40
- May 5th – Citta Prasādana – Purification of my heart-mind. Chanting 1.33-1.41
- May 12th – Stages of Samādhi, Chanting 1.40 – 1.47
- May 19th – Stages of Samādhi, Chanting 1.45 – 1.51
- May 26th – Summary & optional assignment overview
An optional assignment submission is available for those who would like to receive a certificate of completion for this course. All assignment submissions will take place online and by the end of July 2020. Certificate is issued online.
Course fee: EUR 270 including all classes, learning material and lifetime access to online course material. If you need payment options, please contact me via email, I will help you!
BTW/TVA #: BE 0833.200.801