- This event has passed.
yā devī sarvabhūteṣu – navarātrī workshop
October 1, 2022 @ 4:00 pm - 6:30 pm€49
yā devī sarvabhūteṣu & introduction to Devī Mahātmyam
Saturday Oct 1
10am NY | 4pm Brussels | 7.30pm India
2.5 hours workshop
Devī Mahātmyam also known as Durgā Saptaśati or the canḍī is a sacred text on Devī and is a popular daily practice during Navarātrī in Hindu households, temples, āśrams etc. Divided into 13 chapters, this text consists of 700 verses which are meditations on Devī in her form as Mahākāli, Mahālakṣmi & Mahāsarasvatī.
In the 5th chapter of the Devī Mahātmyam, the inspiring hymn yā devī saravabhūteṣu is presented. In this adoration, the devā-s offer salutations again and again, to the Devī who is in all beings as consciousness, intelligence, sleep, hunger, contemplation, power, forgiveness, modesty, peace, commitment, good fortune, compassion, contentment, error etc. At the end of this hymn, we realise Devī is literally our life.
Join me for an overview of the Devī Mahātmyam and let’s learn this hymn, which is mostly repetitive, therefore fairly easy to learn (except for the beginning/ending verses which are not entirely repetitive!!). You will have resources to continue practising after the workshop.
At the end of this weekend workshop, you will:
- Have an overview of the sacred text of Devī Mahātmyam.
- Learn the hymn yā devī sarvabhūteṣu – following chandas (meter) and honouring Sanskrit pronunciation.
- Understand the significance of this hymn.
- Offer your sādhana during the auspicious time of Navarātri.
All levels – some background in Sanskrit chanting will be useful, but beginners are most welcome! This is not Veda chanting, therefore more accessible to all levels.
€49 including live class + recording + workbook with text, meaning & workshop notes + additional audio resources for practice.
(For students facing financial constraints, please write to me for a donation based participation)
Course platform & resources:
- Workshop will be taught on Zoom. If the time/schedule of this class is not suitable, replay of the entire workshop will be made available.
- Workbook is provided with text – in English transliteration & Devanāgari along with meaning.
- All students will receive lifetime access to a self-paced course with workshop recording & additional learning resources.
Shantala chanting yā devī sarvabhūteṣu: