- This event has passed.
The deities (devatā-s) of the Veda-s
September 22 @ 9:30 am - 10:30 am€110
Veda knowledge series – Vedic gods
This is a course of 5 online classes via Zoom to understand more deeply the gods of the Veda-s or the Devatā-s. A deep understanding of spirituality, interpreted in a broad sense, is not possible without a good understanding of the nature and the role of gods mentioned in the Ṛg Veda.
Devatā or Deva is derived from the word “div”, to shine or illumine. The several Devatā-s of the Veda-s are aspects of the one Truth and represent an outward and an inner or psychological power. For instance, Agni is physical fire externally as well as our digestive power. At a deeper level, Agni is the power of will. By getting in touch with these gods, we can develop these psychological powers associated with them. There is also a deeper understanding of the power of prayer associated with the various hymns of the Veda-s, if these gods are better understood.
At the end of these 5 classes, you will:
- Have an overview of the gods of the Veda-s, their functions and roles.
- Explore in more depth a few Devatā-s.
- Briefly examine the translations of the few mantra-s and hymns associated with these gods.
- Briefly examine the evolution of some of these gods into more popular recognisable symbols like Gaṇapati, Śiva, Brahma etc.
- Clearly understand the difference between Vedic gods and the gods of the Purāṇa-s (later texts).
Course curriculum with dates:
- Class 1 – 22nd Sept – Agni, Indra, Soma
- Class 2 – 29th Sept – Sūrya, Aditi, Aśvin-s
- Class 3 – 6th Oct – Savitṛ, Bhaga, Mitra, Varuṇa (Solar deities)
- Class 4 – 13th Oct – Brahmaṇaspati, Viṣṇu, Rudra-Śiva
- Class 5 – 20th Oct – Saravatī, Durgā, Srī (Lakṣmī)
All levels (some basic knowledge of the Veda-s, familiarity with a few popular Veda mantras will help students relate to the content).
Those of you simply curious to learn more deeply about the Veda-s but have no chanting knowledge are welcome to join this course. It is not a chanting course, but a theoretical background on the cosmic powers, Vedic gods or deities.
110€ (Contact me via email if you need to pay in instalments, this can be arranged).
Course platform & resources:
Course will be taught on Zoom. Each week, participants will receive the replay link (recording) from the class, which will be available for 1 week (until the next class). Therefore, if you miss a class, you can catch up with the recording.
Zoom details will be sent to registered participants.