Narasiṃha kavacam – workshop & 4 days practice
May 3, 2023 @ 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm€63
Narasiṃha kavacam – celebrating Narasiṃha Jayanti
Wednesday 3 May
10am NY | 4pm Brussels | 7.30pm India
2 hours workshop + 4 days practice (30 min each day)
Narasiṃha is the fourth incarnation of Lord Viṣṇu in the Daśāvatāra (10 incarnations), the unmistakable and fierce (ugra) manifestation as part lion & part man. The story of Prahlāda, the slaying of Hiraṇyakaśipu and restoration of dharma is the context behind this powerful “kavacam” – a genre of prayer that effectuates an armour to shield the devotee from harm and negative forces.
Join me to learn these 31 verses, understand what a kavacam is and offer your sādhana to Lord Narasiṃha on His Jayanti (appearance day). We will then also practice for 4 consecutive days after this workshop to establish our learning.
At the end of this weekend workshop, you will:
- Learn the Narasiṃha Kavacam – following chandas (meter) and honouring Sanskrit pronunciation. This means, a simple, non-singing method of “chanting”.
- Understand the context of this prayer and story of Prahlāda & Hiraṇyakaśipu.
- Offer your sādhana during on the auspicious occasion of Narasiṃha Jayanti.
- Continue practice for 4 days after for 30 minutes each to ensure effective learning. (Thur-Fri-Sat-Sun).
All levels – some background in Sanskrit chanting will be useful, but beginners are most welcome! This is not Veda chanting, therefore more accessible to all levels.
€63 until 18 April, €81 after.
(For students facing financial constraints, please write to me for a donation based participation)
Course platform & resources:
- Workshop will be taught on Zoom. If the time/schedule of this class is not suitable, replay of the entire workshop + practice days will be made available.
- Workbook is provided with text – in English transliteration & Devanāgari along with meaning.
- All students will receive lifetime access to a self-paced course with workshop recording & additional learning resources.
Timings & dates (for clarity!)
Workshop day: 3 May – 10am NY | 4pm Brussels | 7.30pm India (2 hours class)
Practice day 1: 4 May – 10am NY | 4pm Brussels | 7.30pm India (30 min class)
Practice day 2: 5 May – 10am NY | 4pm Brussels | 7.30pm India (30 min class)
Practice day 3: 6 May – 10am NY | 4pm Brussels | 7.30pm India (30 min class)
Practice day 4: 7 May – 10am NY | 4pm Brussels | 7.30pm India (30 min class)